Sunday, January 6, 2008

1/06/08

Working at Kirkland's sometimes I poke my head out the front doors and look out at the people walking by. Kids screaming because the playplace is right there. Today I saw this guy in a Led Zepplin t-shirt and he was staring at a girl with big doe eyes in a white sweater with pink flowers on it. She was staring at Dippendots. The way he stared with his mouth kind of slack squishing his stubbled double chin might seem creepy through words but his eyes actually looked at her without lust. More like longing. You will only ever see guys look like that once in a blue moon. So you tend to remember it.

Got tips on how to better crush my trash in the compactor from the janitor who used to manage a grocery store until him and seven of his friends caravaned to Oklahoma to live in a house on a few acres for $25 grand. He wears glasses and his greased ponytail combs over a large bald spot. He's friendly.

I watched this movie, "Election", it's from Hong Kong. I had no idea what the fuck was going on the first two thirds, but there is a neat sword fight and the end is good so it's okay in my book. Certainly not "The Best Film of the Year" so fuck off Quentin Tarantino.

I finished reading my second book of the year. I set my goal at 50.

The first was a reread of "No Country for Old Men."

The second was "I Pass Like Night" by Jonathan Ames. Good shit, but I'm a sucker for the "Catcher in the Rye" formula. This book, "Hairstyles of the Damned", and "The Average American Male" all have appealed to me. Same vignette style, same lack of a plot, same concentration on one character's development. I don't know why I like these kinds of books so much. The next one of this kind might be "Snow White and Red Russia" by this Polish writer. Same idea.

I'm halfway through my third, "Drown" by Junot Diaz. Good stuff so far.

After that I've got "The Alphabet Versus the Goddess" by Leonard Shlain, maybe something by Tom Piccirilli, and "The Fighter" by Craig Davidson. I need suggestions. I really want to read "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett but I'm scared how far back that would set me as far as my 50 book goal goes.

Have a great day.

No comments: